It’s horrifying as any terror-filled movie, unfortunately this is a true story and is developing here as a flesh eating bacteria is on the loose. It has been found in water samples, and could be hosting in living beings now.
According to media reports, health officials in Alabama are warning residents of a flesh-eating bacteria found in bodies of water throughout the state.
The Alabama Department of Public Health (ADPH) on Friday warned residents that Vibrio cases have been reported along Alabama’s Gulf Coast.
In a statement, officials said that Vibrio can only be contracted in brackish or salt water. It can also affect people who eat contaminated seafood and those with open wounds exposed to seawater.
In the statement, the department urged people who get cuts in water to immediately wash the wound with fresh water and soap, and to seek medical attention immediately. They also encouraged those with open wounds and sores to stay out of the water, and persons with low immune systems, cancer, diabetes, liver disease and chronic conditions to avoid eating raw and undercooked seafood — especially oysters.
Symptoms typically occur within 24 hours and include diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain, fever, chills and nausea, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
This week, the Mobile County Health Department’s Barbara Gibbs confirmed three cases of Vibrio in the area, CBS affiliate WKRG-TV in Mobile reports. Gibbs said three cases are related to open wounds being exposed to the water and one case is from eating raw oysters in another state.